IMPROVED FLOOR DESIGN
Ground Floor. The main entrance to the school will be at the ground level, which will house a reception area, gym, new bathrooms, locker rooms and a weight room. There will be a new hallway allowing direct access to the elevator. The ground floor will also have a large group instruction area suitable for whole grade instruction, as well as public meetings and/or adult education.
First Floor. The first floor will house the cafeteria and the 5th and 6th grade classrooms, including new rooms for science and family / consumer science. There will be a sloped hallway added to provide wheel chair access to the cafeteria.
Second Floor. The second floor will house shared spaces for the arts (music, art, band, auditorium), as well as library, a computer lab, and administrative offices (principals, school nurse and guidance). The computer lab and library will be combined spaces, able to operate individually or as a large group instruction area.
Third Floor. The third floor will house 7th and 8th grade classrooms, including a new science lab.
Additionally, we will have lockers for students to store belongings and bathrooms on every floor.
A GREEN SCHOOL
RENEWABLE ENERGY SYSTEMS
* WOOD PELLET HEATING SYSTEM (with oil back up)
* SOLAR HOT WATER. Thanks to an Energy Efficiency Conservation Block Grant from the Windham Regional Commission, the middle school will have a solar hot water system to provide hot water for the school's use during the non-heating season. During the heating season, water will be heated by our pellet boiler system which means all of the school's hot water needs will be met by renewable energy.
* SOLAR PV SYSTEM. The school will have three PV Solar panels installed on the roof. This will supply a very small amount of energy, but it is a start and the PV system can be added to in the future.
ENERGY CONSERVATION MEASURES
* INSULATION OF BUILDING ENVELOPE
* REPAIR AND WEATHER STRIPPING TO EXISTING WINDOWS
* USE OF LED LIGHTING AND MORE EFFICIENT FLUORESCENT LIGHTING
* ENGERGY RECOVERY VENTILATION SYSTEM
* OCUPPANCY AND DAYLIGHT SENSORS
Accessibility will be improved through a wheelchair accessible main entry to the school at the ground level. The will also be an interior ramp allowing wheel chair access to the cafeteria and improved hallway access to the elevator on the ground floor.